Author Name: admin
This popular Filipino dish is said to have originated from two towns in the central part of the Philippines called Iloilo and Bacolod. Chicken Inasal basically means Grilled Chicken and is an Ilonggo dish. The marinade and basting sauce of this delicious dish is composed of a variety of unique spices that are blended together which makes it extra special (recipe below).
This dish has made its way all throughout the Philippines and is loved by many. One of the most common style of serving this dish is pairing it with an "all you can eat" rice offer. There are several restaurant chains that specializes in this dish that have spread all over the country.
Everyone ought to try this Filipino style grilled chicken. The taste is savory and it increases your appetite as you eat pieces of it with rice. Try the recipe below:
Good for 6 servings.
- 3 lbs chicken (leg quarters)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups coconut vinegar (any white vinegar will do)
- 1 cup lemon or calamansi juice
- 2 cups lemon lime soda (sprite is an option)
- 1 cup lemongrass (chopped)
- 3 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp ginger (minced)
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons annatto oil (atsuete oil)
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon lemon or calamansi juice
1. Combine and mix soy sauce, lemon-lime soda, vinegar, lemongrass, lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper, ginger, garlic and brown sugar in a big mixing bowl (this can also be done in a large freezer bag if it fits). Add the chicken mixing or shaking them altogether until it is well incorporated. Marinade for 3 hours.
2. Basting sauce - combine and mix annatto oil, lemon juice, margarine, and salt mixing it well. Set aside.
3. When chicken is well marinated, grill them. Baste frequently and generously with the basting sauce. Make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through by poking it with the tip of a knife right at the joint area of the leg quarter.
Serve with sawsawan (a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, calamansi juice and chili peppers).