Author Name: admin
While other countries have creme brulee, egg custard and pudding, Philippines has Leche Flan. This creamy caramel flavored flan is a Filipino dessert that is definitely irresistible. The smoothness makes one think that it is a complicated recipe. Quite the opposite, it is easy to prepare this delicious and simple dessert. It is served best when cold. Just imagine having this right now in this summer heat.
Why not make your own Filipino Leche Flan and beat the summer heat? Below is a recipe that we would like to share with you.
1 Can - Evaporated milk 354ml (or whole milk)
1 Can - Condensed milk 410ml
12 eggs - Separate egg yolks (beat egg yolks)
1/4 tsp - Vanilla extract
1/2 cups - Sugar
(Prepare water for steaming)
1 Cup - Light brown sugar
3 tbsp. - Water
2 Llaneras (Flan molds - 9" x 2" / 23cm x 5cm) It is to your preference as to how many flan blocks you want to make - whether one big round cake type mold or these oval llaneras..
Cooking Procedures :
1. Caramel: Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Turn heat to low then add sugar. Stir steadily for approximately 2 minutes or until sugar caramelizes (amber like color). Pour caramel immediately into flan mold(s) swirling constantly until caramel spreads evenly. Set aside.
2. Steamer: Put a steamer in a large wok (saucepan will do too). Pour water up until just below the steamer then bring to a boil.
3. While waiting for it to boil, combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Pour beaten egg yolks through a strainer and into the bowl. Stir and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into the caramel based flan molds.
4. Cover molds with aluminum foil and set them inside the steamer (make sure the water is already boiling at this point). Steam for 30 minutes or until the desired firmness.
5. Set aside to let cool and refrigerate for 2 hours or so. Before serving, run a knife along the sides of the flan molds to loosen flan from the molds. Place a plate on top of the mold; holding tightly the plate to the mold turn upside down quickly. Let flan fall and come out easily onto the plate and lift the mold up. Your flan should be sitting pretty on the plate with a nice caramel top on it.
Enjoy your summer with Filipino Leche Flan!